Monday, December 28

A year ago

A year ago at this time, I remember boarding a bus to Teluk Sari, Mersing, the location of my National Service campsite. Then, I was a 17 year old boy who was so very reluctant to board that bus. Saying goodbye to loved ones, I boarded the bus filled with uncertainty in my heart and mind.

Almost bald(decided to do crazy stuff since I would be bald anyway) with just a few strands of hair on the top of my head, all the emotions and fear was enough to cause me crying at the top of my lungs.

All I was thinking about is how to get disqualified from NS; all I was worrying about is relationships with loved ones. What would happen due to my absence? Will people forget me, and forsake me thereafter? In my mind was just full of friends whom I treasure so dearly, I could not let go.


A year ago around this time, I remember a song written and sung- What Christmas Is. I wrote it while studying the Gospel according to Luke, for Bible Knowledge 9221 SPM. And the carol was sung by church friends, fellow carollers. Besides being sung at carolling, it was played on a piano by a friend as part of a prelude for a Christmas service in church, that meant so much to me.
This now is so nostalgic.


A year ago at and around this time were two experiences, both of which made(makes) me cry. One, more of bitterness and the latter, slightly simpler.

2 comments:

Elween said...

And the two incidents were?

Joel Yap said...

sorry, wrong word.

1. leaving for NS
2. some notes being played on a piano