Thursday, April 7

Pleasant surprise

Mr. W who was transferred to another hospital yesterday forgot to bring his shoes along. (I forgot to pack) No wonder as he has been barefooted for over a month. How could he have remembered? So I brought the shoes home yesterday and went to visit Mr. W this morning.

He looked good! Was doing some exercised when I interrupted. I was really glad to sit down with him, to spend some time with the man.

As we chat, suddenly there was a voice, "You're Joel eh?" from across the table. So familiar, at that very moment I knew who was speaking. A former patient whom I took care of during the previous clinical posting in a different ward was just seated directly opposite Mr. W! The patient who used to weigh over 150kg, is now around 80kg. I could not recognise him at all!

What are the odds of you meeting your patients again after they are discharged?? It feels good to see one of them today, even better as he is in a much better shape. Hope he is fit for home after rehabilitation though.

What a pleasant surprise.

No comments: