Monday, August 13

Registered

To the post office today, I went.

Although it bewilders me why the granting of voter statuses still cannot be automatic in Malaysia, why are we not eligible to cast our votes in elections upon turning twenty-one, I went to register myself as a voter this afternoon. While waiting for my turn, something that someone once said a few years ago just came to mind. I remembered a minister who made a comment stating that the lacking of non-Malays in civil defence is because they are less patriotic. I know I could let this go and not bring it up here in this blog. Well, this particular minister was being plain stupid or irresponsible for the least, by making such a remark. No need to mention names lah. I give him face.

Patriotism can be displayed in many forms. Entering the public service does not validate one's loyalty to his or her country.

What about voting? Does it display patriotism? I wish to make one point here as a kind reminder, hope this is not what you do not yet know. Nevertheless you should understand if you have not already do. Allegiance to the government does not equate allegiance to the country! It is a citizen's duty to choose a capable government to rule the land. Wittingly supporting a corrupt government is tantamount to betraying the country, in my humble opinion. And being indifferent is not any better.

In a democratic society, it is every man's responsibility to decide which people can be in voted into office. And doing so is not that daunting a task at all. It can be as simple as taking some time to look around, see what has the people in power been doing for the nation, and from there evaluate if they have the ability and integrity to continue serving the rakyat.It can be as simple as being a little more concerned about benefit of the country rather than believing that whatever happens at 'their' level does not affect the daily lives of average civilians.

I do not tell you which government you should be supporting. However I must say that being a responsible citizen can be as easy as registering yourself as a voter. Come elections, when you are called to vote; vote, with the future of Malaysia in mind.

No comments: