Sunday, September 25

Ace

Since elementary school, I had always been an average student. Or at times fell slightly below average but nothing bad enough to worry about.

You must know, I enjoyed examinations while others dreaded them. However, only because of the temporal cease of lessons in the classroom and thus schoolwork as well. I liked exams but never really studied just for the sake of scoring. As young as a child, I had witnessed peers losing freedom and playtime, each time a test was round the corner. I could not be with my best friends, before and during an exam period since their parents grounded them as if they were being prepared for war.

Not trying to boast here, but I never could see the need to study hard for exams in order to do better than the rest of the class. I have seen the ugliness of unhealthy competitions for good grades. Worse still, more often than not, the competitions were among parents. Poor children suffering and bearing burdens that were placed on their shoulders by the parents who keep on comparing. Ugly, and wrong.

Bearing all these in mind, I always(tried to) fulfilled my responsibilities as a student by making some form of preparations for tests. But I was careful not to revised just to pass the exam, treated everything as a learning process instead. Well, maybe except for the corrupted history syllabus. Anyway, I can confidently say that I went through examinations after examinations without a competing spirit that seeks to be superior to my peers. Again, not trying to boast. By the way, of course some stress and competition is good in a sense that it makes you want to excel, please also do not misunderstand me for condemning anyone.

Alright, before accidentally stepping on someone's tail, I digress.

Since elementary school, I had always been an average student. Or at times fell slightly below average but nothing bad enough to worry about. Yet this blog post is not meant to justify myself at all. Just trying to pen down my thoughts and God-willing, let this be helpful to whomever my words might help.

My results for the semester that just ended are out. And I passed. With flying colours.
This is my first time scoring straight A's. Again, not trying to boast. Nevertheless I am proud and happy since my parents are, besides having been serious about college. I always delighted in receiving my grades, this time I was astonished as well, to see all the aces and distinctions. The very first time.

So I finally got the opportunity to experience this, an all-A's transcript. Glory and thanks to God.
Then after a while passed, "so this is just how it feels? Is this all?". It is merely a reflection of how much one worked for towards obtaining the grades. Some deserve theirs, others do not.

In a nutshell, they're just gradings. Aces make you happy, no doubt. But aces are not worth killing for. Please do not let your grades, or the grades of others affect your life, friendships, etc. etc. At the end of the day I found joy in going through the examination with my peers, and more importantly, offering help to those who needed it. The excitement of having obtained straight aces was(is) nothing compared to the joy of sharing and helping.


No comments: