Monday, February 6

Communion

Doesn't the word sound a little holier when compared to "fellowship"?


It has been a few good weeks getting together with loved ones from my hometown, in my hometown, where I am certainly happy to be in. Updating each other on our lives was a great thing to do. Exchanging stories, sharing laughter, sometimes I gladly invite myself to pay for their drinks; sometimes I allow them to pay even more gladly. The fellowship was enjoyable and I wished those days and nights would never end.

Now, here am I in this foreign land, again. Communion is simply not what one would feel comfortable having. Well, at least for me. Every one lives in their respective compartments. You don't cross mine, I won't disturb you. And we each play our part in keeping this society functioning. Privacy is sacred. You wish to be more personal? Get a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Period.
This doesn't apply to everybody though. Okay, maybe I am being a bit too pessimistic and exaggerating.
My point is, one may feel comfortable in just keeping to oneself in a materialistic society that values efficiency.

Fellowship is not an easy task to perform.

Nevertheless I am grateful to have had the opportunity to meet up with friends from back home, in this city. Keeping in touch is so important! We had a good time. And I hope this would continue.

Communion should not be limited to just people you are comfortable to be around with. Thus the difficulty.
But why share when you don't like to? It is contradicting and seems stupid, right?
What else can you do? If you never step out of your comfort zone, your communion table is bound to become smaller and smaller. Sooner or later you'll only have one more seat left- for yourself; because truth be told, not to sound as it I am in old age already, people die. If you do not open up for more to join the table, you'll be left alone by yourself.

However, fellowship is such an intimate word to be used when you're unfamiliar to the people in your surroundings. Well, you'll never get to be around all your favourite people forever, will you? No matter how nice your friends are, there will surely have two or three persons nearby whom you wish never existed in this world. At least one.
The truth is, most of the time you cannot get rid of these people, unfortunately. Therefore your options are:
  1. Murder them
  2. Flee into exile
  3. Accept, and fellowship

Meeting new friends is not something I enjoy doing. But I'm trying.

No comments: