Tuesday, March 13

Excellence? (part 2)

My brothers and I went to play L4D2 again last night. This time no more Versus, we played as a team in Survival mode. Still, I felt inadequate.

Was committing too many friendly-fires because of my lack of accuracy or was one of my friends too stupid to walk into lines of fire? Anyhow I felt that my performance was still under par.
Enough of first person shooter games, I just played Tetris a minute ago and lost pretty badly. Is neurological deterioration kicking in extra early for me?

To stop being so skeptical, I began thinking of areas I am excellent in. Studies came to mind. Well, don't talk about last time lah. I believe I am doing quite well now, by the way. Not to boast in how great I am or whatever, but I can fairly say that my academic results, currently, are nothing to complain about. Good news, yay!
However, it is also nothing much to shout about. I do, in fact, have certain advantages. Most of my course mates who are older than I am probably have language difficulties; while the rest who possess a similar, if not better proficiency in English- the teaching medium used in my college, are likely to be younger than me. Moreover, not all my course mates are academically bright. I am not calling anybody stupid. Just saying that I might just be smarter than a few of the people I study with. Again, not something to be boastful about, I never look down on my friends.

My point is, what is there to be proud of in winning battles when you stand on higher ground?


May I never take pride in being better just because of whatever advantages I might have been blessed with, or because the competitors are less equipped.

Yes, I am grateful for wherever I am standing today in my academics; but I am not proud because of the lack of worthy opponents. Excellent in studies? I still don't think so.

No comments: