Saturday, March 10

Excellence?

Just came home from a few hours of LAN gaming. Feeling sorry because it seems that every team that has me as a member loses, this observation was consistent across at least two video games.

A few ex-classmates of mine gathered for supper followed by a visit to a local cybercafe for some "fingers-exercises". We played Left4Dead 2 in versus mode. Whenever I joined the good guys, the good guys lost; as I became one of the zombies, the good guys won. Not trying to complain here, and of course I have better things to do than to announce in this blog that I am no good at computer games! But I noticed that my video gaming skills and reflexes have deteriorated. Besides, it's not that I used to be unbeatable at it. Just saying.

I seem to always have been mediocre at most of the things I did, probably still am now. Take a look at guitar playing, singing, writing, speaking, basketball, etc.

As of now my greatest interest is photography. Purchased quite a bit of equipment already, considering the hobby being rather new. However I tend to just let all my gear rest in the store room, and leave them waiting to be taken out and put to use. I do realise I am not a full-time photographer and may probably never become one, but the amount of money spent on the camera can sometimes seem like a waste as I start to see how often do I actually shoot. How much practice does it take to make a good photographer? Will I ever get there? And where is there?

Is the Phlegmatic temperament a curse? How do you see the fine balance between contentment and complacency?

No comments: