Sunday, May 29

Light promise

It has been over a month now, since Mr. W and I first got to know each other in the hospital where I was posted to for a clinical attachment. During which he was discharged and transferred for rehabilitation and step-down care. Since then, our client-nurse relationship turned into friendship as I started visiting him.

Two days ago I bought him newspapers and some extra breakfast. This was my last visit besides today's. He wanted me to come this morning to bring the Sunday newspapers and perhaps some roti canai, so I told him I would do so(today) two days ago.

In other words I was supposed to go see him this morning. However I nearly woke up late for church. Totally went on with the day's activities without calling Mr. W to inform him that I would visit later during the day. He called me by noon. I explained that I might bring him the newspapers in the evening as I was out in town. And I did. Just came back from the hospital, by the way.

Sigh, now as I look back, did I take my promise to Mr. W too lightly? I knew he wouldn't(couldn't) mind because I am practically one of his only friends around. In fact, I visit him more frequently than any members of his family and friends. Not to mention I have absolutely no obligation to visit him at all in the first place.

A promise is a promise nonetheless.

I said I would visit him in the morning but only showed up in the evening. A man is as good as his word. I feel sorry for taking a promise too lightly no matter how "light" this promise was meant to be.

No comments: