Wednesday, November 11

Chinese

Many times I feel a bit left out among Chinese speaking friends as my mastery of the language is one of the worst. Besides, I do feel some guilt because I gave up the language as an exam subject in Form 3. That let a teacher down, she cared(s) and had done a lot of persuasion as well as encouragement for me to take on the challenge but I was not up to it. *Sorry.......*

Well, what's done is done. Dropping Chinese is a different matter from being ashamed of the language. Just like Bible Knowledge 9221 for SPM, many students have their own reasons(though usually excuses) for not taking it in the SPM examination.
I am not ashamed of being yellow, an Asian, neither am I ashamed of the language- Chinese.


From listening to stories of my grandfather from various sources, I want to share this- that he came from China to Malaysia decades ago. Although he was uneducated, upon receiving income for the first time here, the first item he spent his hard earned money on was ironically a dictionary! I believe he went through a lot and experienced many hard times, his pursuit of knowledge and literature amazes me. You may read more about my grandfather, Yap Tai Pit if you want to here. What i want to say is that he was skillful in the art of calligraphy and famous for it. (the characters on the arch of the cemetery in Kluang was his work)
However I never had any interest at all in Chinese calligraphy, Haha... But starting today I wish to brush up on my Chinese writing skills again!

Check out my latest work on Mirror: 万物之灵


Mirror is a space whereby I express my musings and daydreams into words.

Bahasa Cina boleh! Go, Go, Go!!!

No comments: