Thursday, October 29

Night - Poetry by Joel Yap

Night
The Sun is asleep, my soul is at peace;
A blanket covers the sky, my spirit delights.
Swiftly the winds blow, painfully my heart groans;
Gently the crickets sing, quietly my eyes bleed.
The diamonds above sparkle to calm me down,
for they have seen my body suffer since dawn.
Though hidden in cruel daylight, they were there,
And same goes to angels, who silently watch over man.
Darkness, my closest friend, marks an end of another day,
I love the Night! For it signifies, a hope for quietness and rest.
© Joel Yap


Inspired by Psalm 88:18, I remember writing this during my NS in the camp. It was torturing then when I grew fond of the Night for reasons hidden and found in the poem.

This piece of work was published on my Mirror before.
Now I am sharing it again because having chickenpox is in some ways similar to going through NS:
Tormenting and difficult during the Day; peace in the Night but pain is still present.