Wednesday, May 19

Chocolate Beans from Mom


During my time home one fine weekend
sure enough, mom prepared items
for me to take away upon leaving, again
She like a secretary, more than an administrator
always getting things ready
with great initiative

Seated among the toiletries
and groceries
was an odd one out-
a bottle full of
chocolate shaped in beans

From the supermarket
courtesy of mom
probably a pre-incentive for me to study
Anyways she understood my liking towards chocolate
and knew my understanding to need for budget
thus bought the brown drugs for me

Simple chocolate beans,
bring no luxurious enjoyment
but warmth
to a homesick struggler

Love in almond coated with
bittersweet feelings
besides mom’s embedded blessings

I eat one when time is lonely
remembering mommy’s kindness
Take a second when my eyes water
Savour the third before they dry

Bottle in my hand
chocolate in my mouth
tastes of tears among bitter sweetness
A face in my mind
warmth in my heart
satisfaction to my soul

Thanks for the chocolate

© Joel Yap

2 comments:

jane said...

Oh poor boy...hang on..you're going back soon don't you??Your mum is awesome!!! Don't despair...it's a blessing to be sent out to study...so do what you have to do...be happy and enjoy!! I know the homesick feelings..and this is a feeling which teaches me how to cherish my family more..she will be happy if she see your smiling face:) hold on!!! We can pull through this:)) coz you have an incomprehensibly loving God looking over you:))

Joel Yap said...

haha, thankss jane!