Thursday, May 13

ICA Building

The immigrations office
flooding with the public
I nearly got lost within
the walls of the building


Appointed there by half past three
on the twelveth day of May
year 2010
I went to collect an item
a one and only
which allows three years of dwelling
in the City of Lions


There I passed many people
of most were in waiting
Destined to be on level 4
thus swam through the flooding


And I achieved three floors up
found myself among familiar
people who are unfamiliar
our similarity is our diversity
in nationality
a common ground on which we stand
in a foreign land


These were folks of various
Age, Class, Race, Tongue
rich ethnicity gathered in one floor
generally purpose to stay in Singapore


Families with infants
some with elderly
and some more like me:
single, lone, full of energy
I saw parents coaxing their young
whose restlessness due to long waiting


Three hours of patience
paid off the multiple processed effort
that started weeks ago
I got what I went there for
and hope everyone else did too


Same different people

© Joel Yap

No comments: