Monday, May 31

Too late

Boarded the 9PM bus from home last night and the air conditioner system broke down, all the passengers were brought to the bus depot for a bus exchange. Oh boy that really wasted a lot of our time! The delay was nearly an hour, and I was mad. Already not in a very good mood and such a thing should occur? Anyway the journey to Singapore became longer last night. Scenes of all that had happened during the weekend kept on playing in my mind, whether to calm or to not, I was(am) not sure.

In the end I reached Singapore around half past midnight, was so lucky to have probably hopped on the last train though its service was terminated a station away from near where I live.

Ang Mo Kio, where I alighted at 12.45AM!

Walked to the bus stop only to find out that the last bus home was half an hour ago. Fortunately, Ang Mo Kio station is where I pass by everyday. In between Nanyang Polytechnic and my rented place in Bishan. So, it was a very long walk if I were to resort to walking, almost 10 bus stops away. There were taxis on the road but I knew it was(is) possible to reach home without paying for one. So, I decided to take the walk as a time to exercise after all the weekend's overeating.

The long long walk.... was torturous! All alone with the moon as a companion, all I felt was the aches due to playing basketball and sweat all over. By the way, was smart enough to change my shoe laces to black after wearing whites ones for the weekend, black so it wouldn't be obvious if there were dirt stains.

And when I was on the verge of giving up and turn to hail for a cab, one stopped by the road side voluntarily. The driver asked where I was heading but I was still double minded about hopping in. Taxi rides aren't cheap as compared to buses and trains, especially during such a time(I think) so I was worried about spending too much money. Anyway in the end I somehow got into the cab.

On the way, the driver and I chatted and he began to know I am new to the city. He also found out about the distance I travelled on foot because there were no more bus services home. And obviously he knew I have(or at least wish to have) tight budgets.
Upon arrival home, he, by grace offered me the ride for free. Showing compassion and hospitality to a foreign student. Can you believe it? Free taxi ride in the middle of the night!

So, I walked half the journey home and made the other half in the comfort on four wheels, courtesy of a kind taxi driver. It was too late for a bus ride but help still came.

I give thanks for the eyes above that watch me in silence,
and am grateful for the hands above that provide abundant grace.

As for my own eyes and hands,
I too, wish to show random kindness.

No comments: