Saturday, December 11

Amazing Grace

Amazing grace
how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost
but now am found
was blind but now I see.

One of the most beautiful verses ever written. I wonder how did John Newton felt when he repented and joined in the effort to abolish slavery after being set free himself. I just wonder how great it is to experience such tremendous change in life. Not forgetting the amount of guilt he probably had to face as memories of tortures and deaths of numerous innocent lives haunted him. (I would be haunted) But he is saved by faith nonetheless.

Now as I am exposed to the introduction to Sociology and am learning to look at things through the various sociological perspectives with different theories in mind, the history behind the Abolition of slave trade becomes even more meaningful to me. Same goes for the hymn, Amazing Grace.

No comments: