Sunday, October 30

Can't say "No"

"Hey, would you mind covering up for my duty on this day?"
"Was wondering, are you interested in attending this event on this day?"
"Can you come to help so-and-so to do this-and-that please?"

And the list of example requests goes on. I'm sure it would be almost quite impossible if you have never been asked for a favour or some form of help. If you really are an exception, maybe you're the king of the universe or nobody likes you at all.

I took notice of a behaviour of mine lately, that is, agreeing(kind of) to a request and later, back out. To a certain extent I might had been breaking promises albeit not wanting to do so; on the other hand I may not be that bad, just realising that I agreed to do stuff that I cannot(or did not want to) commit to. Isn't it quite a bad habit to say "sorry, no," after saying, "yes" to a person? This is really not the way I wish to live my life, because I simply do not fancy the idea of breaking promises. Had promises to me being broken in the past, I understand and hate the feelings that such unpleasant experiences bring. Thus it is only natural for me to not want to fail in fulfilling my own promises to others. Having said that, why do I still behave like this? Saying "yes" then say "sorry"!

Lacking the wisdom and courage to say, "no" to people?
  1. Wisdom: Discernment in prioritizing between needs and wants. Sorry to say, some people may just be lazy while others might be in real need of help. Besides that, discernment also to look into my capacity to perform the tasks requested; my abilities, internal and external resources.
  2. Courage: To let my "yes" be "yes," whereas my "no," "no".

Really hate it when I make a promise to somebody and then later regret it. Guess I'll just have to consciously and responsibly fulfill promises without chickening out in the last few minutes. Regardless of how my feelings might be, may I add. Or learn to say no.

No comments: