Sunday, December 4

Toys

A friend of mine was kind enough to remember me when she had free movie tickets. A few of us went to watch the Tintin movie last week.

As Christmas draws near, I want to remember a few friends from back home too. Took the opportunity to do some shopping, conveniently, as we were still waiting for our movie. At that point of time I specifically had a dear boy in mind- an eight-year-old whose improvement in academics was plausible; he even received the Model Student award in his primary school, I found out from the proud grandmother. Very happy for him and had been wanting to give him something since his birthday, which was a few months ago!

What would an eight-year-old boy want? I was eight years old before and I knew where to find his gift.

Stepped into ToysRus for the first time in Singapore. I was told by my friend that I looked like I saw heaven! Or as if Moses stood on Promised Land. The store was huge and full of toys! Fun stuff for almost every age group, especially below 12. You name it, ToysRus has it. At an instance, my senses brought me to where the boys' stuff were. There were figures from Star Wars and Transformers, and of course many other stories as well, but I was concentrating on these two. I felt like a little boy once again, mesmerized by the quantity of the toys and wishing I had most of them. Looking and choosing, looking and choosing. In the end I realised I was there for a boy, not myself. Picked up an Autobot suitable for the kid's age and got out of the Promised Land toy store.

Growing up, I used to play with toys too. Not only that, I remember vividly even talking to some of them! The children's department or toys section must always be visited each time my family went out shopping albeit the fact that many times our trip to the supermarket was for groceries. Shopping meant looking at and sometimes owning new toys. Mom and dad didn't earn big money. We were okay financially but we weren't bathing with milk and using dollar bills as tissue paper. However, as children, how many would be aware of social classes? All children know to do is play together; some are taught to share and take turns whereas some might behave a little ill-mannered. I was a child, like many others, who liked playing and ever open to receiving new play objects.I was a boy who would sometimes pester my parents for the latest Lego or action figures. Unfortunately, or fortunately, most of my wishes weren't granted. Just as life is yesterday, today and forever; on Earth, most of your wishes don't come true, and they shouldn't lest there be chaos all over the world. So, I wanted many things which my family couldn't afford. Nevertheless my sister and I had ample toys to play with, thanks to being born much later than most of our cousins. (Dad is the youngest among ten other siblings!)

Sister and I played with lots of hand-me-downs. But dad and mom would occasionally buy us new toys. I remember crystal clear even till today for wanting a Robocop so badly that I kept asking mommy for it for my tenth birthday. (Tears are building up in my eyes now as I ruminate on this) That wish came through; it felt like the happiest day of my life back then. Now it feels stupid to have wanted a Robocop so much. Haha! Now I find toys practically useless though they were once the greatest treasures. Mommy and daddy didn't have money to splurge on play items that were practically useless, but they still bought us new toys once in a blue moon despite having abundant sources of used ones from our extended family. By the way, I kept asking for so many things from my parents but never paused to think about how they might have felt each time they had to reject my request. Sigh.

Love means sacrifice. Now, having long grown up from being a naughty boy, my eyes are opened. To how much of a rascal I had been as well as how much my parents loved me and love me still. Amazing how feelings are able to mix, not something Rocket Science can explain- I feel bad, yet loved.
Love means giving even though you might never receive anything in return. Parents have no way of making sure how well will they one day be treated by their children, but that cannot stop parents from loving.

I am grateful for having enjoyed a good enough childhood; happy that my parents are still alive and well. This blog post was not meant to make myself or anyone cry like the way I am brought to tears now, just some thoughts as I bought a toy for a little boy.

No comments: